Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar nuestros servicios, personalizar y analizar su navegación y opcionalmente, ofrecer publicidad.
Si continúa navegando está aceptando su instalación y su uso. Puede cambiar la configuración u obtener más información en la política de cookies.
            Síguenos es twitter

Área privada ¿Olvidó su clave?

Usuario Clave
Imagen de información  

Noticias de interés

Sudan’s new transitional leader promises civilian government, ends night-time curfew

Fecha de la noticias: 13/04/2019 • Publicada: 13/04/2019 

  • Sudan"s security and intelligence chief steps down after defense minister"s resignation
  • The defense minister handed in his resignation following Bashir"s ouster

KHARTOUM:  The new head of Sudan"s military council said on Saturday a civilian government would be formed after consultations with the opposition and the transition period would last for a maximum of two years, as protesters kept up pressure for rapid change.

In his first televised address, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan Abdelrahman said he was also cancelling a night curfew ordered by his predecessor and ordered the release of all prisoners jailed under emergency laws ordered by ousted President Omar Al-Bashir.

Al-Bashir was overthrown on Thursday after weeks of mass protests brought on by rising food costs, high unemployment and increasing repression during his three decades in power.

Protest organisers had earlier on Saturday urged people to keep marching to demand a civilian government after the defence minister and the intelligence chief stepped down.

Thousands of people gathered in front of the Defence Ministry in central Khartoum, a Reuters witness said.

Salah Abdallah Mohamed Saleh, known as Salah Gosh, the former head of the National Intelligence and Security Service quit on Saturday. He was once the most influential person in the country after Al-Bashir and protesters held him responsible for the killing of demonstrators demanding an end to military rule.

Defense Minister Awad Ibn Auf stepped down as head of the transitional military council late on Friday after only a day in the post.

Celebrations erupted on the streets of Khartoum overnight after Ibn Auf"s resignation. Thousands of protesters waved flags and illuminated mobile phones in the darkness and drivers hooted car horns. People chanted: "The second has fallen!" a reference to Ibn Auf and Bashir, witnesses said.

Al-Burhan, the new head of the military council, was the third most senior general in the Sudanese armed forces and is little known in public life. As head of Sudan’s ground forces he oversaw Sudanese troops fighting in the Arab coalition to restore the legitimate government in Yemen and has close ties to senior Gulf military officials.

The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), which has been leading protests to demand a civilian government, called for more demonstrations earlier on Saturday.

"Today, we continue the march to finish the victory for our victorious revolution," the SPA said in a statement.

"We assert that our revolution is continuing and will not retreat or deviate from its path until we achieve ... our people"s legitimate demands of handing over power to a civilian government," it said.

Al-Bashir, 75, seized power in a 1989 military coup.

The protests against him escalated last Saturday when thousands of demonstrators, apparently bolstered by change in Algeria following similar protests, marched towards the Defence Ministry in Khartoum to deliver a memorandum demanding the military side with them.

Demonstrators have been camping outside the compound since then to push for a handover of power.

At least 16 people were killed and 20 injured by stray bullets at protests and sit-ins on Thursday and Friday, a police spokesman said. Government buildings and private property were also attacked, spokesman Hashem Ali added.

He asked citizens to help ensure safety and public order.

The military council under Ibn Auf had said it would not extradite Bashir to face accusations of genocide at the international war crimes court. Instead he might go on trial in Sudan.

The military council said on Thursday it expected a pre-election transition to last two years at most or less if chaos could be avoided.

Bashir, 75, seized power in a 1989 military coup. He had faced 16 weeks of demonstrations brought on by rising food costs, high unemployment and increasing repression during his three decades in power.

The protests escalated last Saturday when thousands of demonstrators, apparently bolstered by change in Algeria following similar protests, marched towards the Defence Ministry in central Khartoum to deliver a memorandum demanding the military side with them.

Demonstrators have been camping outside the compound since then to push for a handover of power.

Worshippers packed the streets around the Defence Ministry for Friday prayers, heeding a call by the SPA to challenge the military council.

The numbers swelled in the afternoon and a Reuters witness estimated hundreds of thousands of protesters thronged areas around the ministry, which was guarded by soldiers.

At least 16 people were killed and 20 injured by stray bullets at protests and sit-ins on Thursday and Friday, a police spokesman said. Government buildings and private property were also attacked, spokesman Hashem Ali added.

He asked citizens to help ensure safety and public order.

Visitar el enlace original



Marsec Union Member SAMI Member: Security Association for the Maritime Industry Panama Maritime Authority Posidonia Exhibition participation